Paultons Park - Book Tickets HERE
  The Village Names within the Parish of Copythorne                                        
                            

Bartley

 The Old English Beorcaleah, meaning birch wood, has changed to Berchelei and Berkele. Bartley Regis was part of a Royal Hunting Ground used by King Rufus at the end of the twelfth century.


 
 

Cadnam

Now known as the location of Junction 1 on the M27, in 1272this hamlet was known as Cadenham, meaning the home or the inclosure belonging to Cada.


 
 

Copythorne

Originally known as Cropped Thorne because trees were pollarded in the area to provide anminal feed. There is still a road called Pollards Moor. The name changed to Copped Thorn and then Coppithorn. Barrow Hill, an ancient tumuli, is sometimes locally called Money Hills, either meaning many hills or perhaps money was found there. Pound Lane is where stray animals could be redeemed for a fine.


 
 

 Newbridge

This village, named after the bridge over the Cadnam River, lays mostly beyond the lane which bends round to cross the bridge and leads on to Furzley, an open common area of "fuze" or gorse bushes.

 
 

Ower 

This hamlet was known in 1284 as Hore and as Oure in 1327. The Old English meaning of flat topped ridge or bank refers to its position overlooking the River Blackwater. The Manorial name of Wigley means insect lea, a beetle wood or clearing, and over the centuries has been spelt as Wiegaleah, Wiggeleia, Wigelay, and Wygelee, Shelley, variously spelt Seveleia, Shulvelegh, Shulvele and Sheleveley means ledge or shelf.

 
 

Winsor 

In 1167 it was spelt Windesor, meaning a "windlass" bank. In 1222 it was Windlesore and by 1272 Windlesovere, referring to a flat topped ridge. Whitemoor Lane was so named because the low lying area attracted mist in early mornings and evenings.

 
 

The above information is taken, with the permission of the Copythorne Parish History Society, from their booklet "A Brief History on the Parish of Copythorne". This booklet is available for purchase -see section"The History of Copythorne".